Runtime is a remote-first engineering department that owns and operates the execution engine that powers the Heroku platform. We provide foundational infrastructure, schedule our customers’ workloads, and ensure every bit makes it securely into and out of their applications. We strive to make deploying and managing software in the cloud a joy, not a chore.
As a manager in Runtime, you will help cultivate an environment where people can do their best work through strategic thinking, coaching, and advocacy. You will own the delivery and quality of your team’s commitments to its customers, and collaborate across the organization to ensure appropriate prioritization. You should have a passion for people management, team building, and empathy-driven development.
You will report to the Director of Engineering of Runtime, which is a part of Salesforce’s Developer Experience organization. This is a full-time remote position, but after reopening, you can work from any Salesforce office.
- Hire and nurture distributed engineers through feedback, mentorship, and advocacy
- Support your team in developing, delivering, and maintaining their services for Runtime
- Work with multiple partners across Product and Engineering to support informed decision-making and prioritization for cross-organizational programs
- Encourage individual decision-making amongst your team to support growth opportunities for your directs
- Collaborate to ensure Runtime’s strategy wholly reflects the objectives of both your team and the organization
- Foster an open environment of mutual support and engineering effectiveness
- 2+ years experience serving in an engineering leadership role
- You lead your team through coaching, context, and delegation
- You have a technical track record that speaks to your team’s problem space, and allows you to offer them guidance
- You apply process through iteration and experimentation, and always to amplify your team’s work and effectiveness
- You're a self-learner, independent, and have excellent problem-solving skills
- You have exemplary written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have, but not required
- You’ve supported a product from idea to delivery by collaborating across multiple teams and workstreams
- You've managed teams that operate — or have operated yourself! — geographically distributed, redundant services
- Experience with software containers (e.g. Docker, containerd, runc) and schedulers (e.g. Kubernetes, ECS, Nomad)
- You have led a distributed engineering team
Technologies we love
- Languages: Go, Ruby
- Software: Ansible, CircleCI, Docker, gRPC, Kubernetes, OpenAPI , Packer, Terraform
- Data stores: Kafka, PostgreSQL, Redis
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us. We are heartfelt about our users’ problems.
We plan weekly, chat daily and work closely together. Our team is a remote community with members excited to work together on challenging distributed systems problems.
Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it’s at the heart of everything we do and aim to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for Engineering Manager, Heroku Runtime You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.