Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us.
We work in small groups who are heartfelt about our users’ problems. We plan weekly, chat daily and work closely together. Our team is a remote community with members excited to work together on challenging distributed systems problems. Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it's at the heart of everything we do and strive to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We hope you are passionate about joining our community of engineers who love to learn, work, and operate a gigantic distributed system, build and sustain a remote culture and help grow and mentor other engineers.
Examples of recent work Runtime engineers have done at Heroku
- Core infrastructure scaling and growth: broke up a critical, monolithic Ruby application that performs many container scheduling tasks and refactored it as a set of well scoped gRPC Go services.
- Supporting critical customer applications: diagnosed and fixed a very elusive bug in how signals are forwarded between our platform logging process and customer containers that was causing customer apps to crash unexpectedly.
- Delivering features to customers: built an automated cert management capability using the Let's Encrypt API to provision free customer SSL certs for domains added to apps and automatically renew expiring certs.
- Researching and learning: prototyped a Kubernetes orchestration backend for our internal Runtime API as part of a larger effort to learn about and adopt new technologies in our runtime.
- Infrastructure improvements: transitioned our use of K8s from self-managed to managed by integrating EKS and implemented a new authentication scheme to integrate our container registry with EKS.
- Incident response: conducted emergency response when a remote operation timed out during routine API maintenance in our EU runtime, corrupting routing state data for a single node. Incident responders followed documented procedure in our ops playbooks to identify the corrupted node and flush its cache. Remediation work included refining our metrics to reduce our time to diagnose and improving our automated tooling used for system maintenance.
Profiles relevant specifically to the Senior Engineer role would feature:
- 3+ years in a full-time, professional software engineering role
- Experience developing production software in Go or Ruby
- Experience developing on IaaS (AWS, GCP, Azure, OpenStack, etc)
- Demonstration of strong software development best practices, such as documentation driven design, code review, test coverage, continuous integration, continuous delivery, phased rollouts
- Enthusiasm for learning new languages, frameworks, and skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with geographically distributed teams and people of various backgrounds
Profiles relevant specifically to the Lead role would additionally feature:
- 5+ years in a full-time, professional software engineering role
- Experience in a technical leadership role in a collaborative team environment
- Experience deploying, operating and supporting critical production systems
- Experience deploying services on Kubernetes
Candidates may be local or remote, but must be in a US-friendly timezone.
Apply for Senior or Lead Platform Engineer, Heroku Runtime You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.