Heroku enables developers to build data-driven apps with fully managed data services. The Heroku Production Services team develops and operates services that give Heroku’s other teams the best possible experience with internal infrastructure services with a minimum of effort. We build and operate Heroku’s internal logging and observability pipelines, DNS and certificate automation, osquery fleet management, change management automation, patch reporting, public cloud authentication, and more.
For this role, we’re looking for experienced managers to join us in growing the team that runs Heroku’s internal services. Our engineers work on services written in a mix of languages—principally Ruby and Go, running on AWS or our own cloud abstractions. Heroku operates in a total ownership model: not only will your team develop and maintain the services you own, but they’ll operate them in production environments and carry a pager to support their operations.
The Heroku engineering team typically works remotely—and has for years. For this role, we are looking for candidates willing to work during North American business hours. You will be responsible for recruiting out of the Salesforce Buenos Aires office when it reopens.
We are looking for engineering managers who:
- Clearly articulate vision and provide direction
- Create an environment with both autonomy and accountability
- Eliminate ambiguity and drive the team towards concrete actions
- Understand what motivates individuals and helps engineers do their best work
- Create opportunities for career growth and leadership in their team
- Pay close attention to the health and well-being of team members
- Communicate effectively with customers, team members, and across team boundaries
- Are able to manage a distributed team of engineers effectively
- Love the products we are building and feel pain when our customers do
- Enjoy working with Product Management to conceive creative solutions to tough problems
- Care about quality and maintainability of systems we build and operate
- Line management (roles and responsibilities, procedures, etc.)
- Aligning team goals with departmental and company goals
- People management (hiring, onboarding, job satisfaction, professional development, etc.)
- Project management (tools, process, methodologies, resolving blockage, etc.)
- Understanding customer needs, in partnership with full-time product managers
Key Qualifications & Experience
- English language proficiency (Intermediate+; Salesforce will provide 6 months of English language training)
- 3+ years experience managing software engineering teams
- Some experience managing distributed/remote teams
- Ability to be a key member of a dynamic, fast-moving engineering team creating a highly technical product
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members who may be remote or local, from diverse cultural backgrounds, about a range of technical and organizational subjects
- Ability to work effectively with peer managers throughout the organization to agree and achieve shared goals
- Ability to manage in a technical environment (software engineering or systems infrastructure background preferred)
- Must deeply understand the needs of software engineers, both as team members and as customers
- Must be proficient in a variety of management techniques, and be able to choose the right one for a given situation
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Annual performance bonus program
- OSDE 410 for your family group
- Wellness reimbursement
- Unlimited vacations
- Competitive Education Reimbursement Program
- Extended parental leave
- Bi-monthly salary inflation adjustment
- And so much more!
Why Salesforce Heroku?
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us. We are heartfelt about our users’ problems.
Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it’s at the heart of everything we do and aim to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for Engineering Manager, Heroku Tools (Buenos Aires) You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.