Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us. We are heartfelt about our users’ problems.
We’re looking for people who are interested in and passionate about the software development lifecycle, related best practices that cover developing, building, testing, and releasing software.
Who are you?
You value empathy and teamwork. We celebrate our successes as a team, and we help each other to achieve that success.
You have a strong commitment to engineering excellence. We care about our code, our interfaces, our tests, our continuous delivery pipelines, and our metrics and monitoring.
You have the skills to give and receive feedback. We highly value communication within the team, continuously improving ourselves, and the way we work together.
You have a good ability to solve problems in complex systems: you’re not afraid to dive in, read the logs, ask for help, and follow the stack traces wherever they go.
You can work and prioritize in an environment that has many simultaneous projects, teams, interrupts, and priorities. It is important that you are able to understand our key drivers and use that understanding to help prioritize your efforts.
- Experience contributing to complex distributed systems & knowledgeable about networked and internet connected applications.
- Willing to work on a distributed team (majority of the team works from home) spanning multiple time zones. Prior remote work experience not required, as many of us learned how to work remotely on the job.
- Our main languages are Ruby and Go. Experience with these languages is preferred, but lack of experience with these languages is not a deal-breaker. The candidate will be immersed in a variety of languages day-to-day and must be comfortable writing, reviewing, and switching between them.
What's this job like?
This job is open to people anywhere in North America (the United States and Canada). You can work at a Salesforce office or work from home. Aspects of the role include:
- Designing and delivering product features to customers
- Test, troubleshoot, and debug issues related to compatibility, functionality, and performance
- Participation in the on-call rotation with your team to keep services operational and highly available
- Contributions to Open Source, steering projects that are important to us such as Cloud Native Buildpacks.
- Other likely projects include:
- Stability and scaling improvements
- Reducing toil through automation
- Keeping our systems healthy, secure and up-to-date
How do I know if I should apply?
If you have experience with any of the following topics, you should apply!
- You are a curious, self-directed problem solver who enjoys working with people
- You have a strong software development background
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, such as AWS, GCP, Azure.
- Experience with Unix, REST API’s, HTTP services, databases, and web programming
- Curiosity to use technology like OCI Images / Docker, Kubernetes, KNative, Tekton, Cloud Native Buildpacks (CNB)
- You have an interest in: software development lifecycle, continuous testing and delivery, devops, API development, web application development, distributed computing, complex systems, PaaS, IaaS, cloud services.
While not required, to get to know you a little better, please consider sharing any of the following:
- An example of source code you've worked on, or a link to your Github account
- A brief description of your skills, interests, and work style
Apply for Software Engineer, Builds and Pipeline Services You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.