Our Heroku Data Services team is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of innovation through the development of cutting-edge managed data services, focusing on our customer needs. We strive to make data-driven decisions and design with telemetry in mind, always striving for operational excellence and efficiency both within our team and across team boundaries. We are structured to deliver on both current and long-term strategic priorities, and we embrace automation to streamline processes and improve overall performance, while working as an async-first globally distributed team.
What is the Job
In this role, you will work directly with the team working on Heroku Data Services, developing our control plane behind our database-as-a-service products. You will write tools to reliably operate thousands of servers including automated backups, disaster recovery, high availability, orchestration, monitoring systems, configuration management, security and more. To be successful in this role, you must have a passion for data storage and management, intuition for code maintainability, and care about making customers successful.
- Contribute to the success of the scrum team through code reviews, deployment process automation, documentation, refinement, planning, and retros
- Lead, collaborate, communicate, and mentor others on the team and in the company
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to deliver a roadmap to meet shared business goals
- Resolve complex technical issues and drive innovations that improve system scalability, robustness and availability
- Troubleshoot issues with the services that our team develops and owns, be passionate about automation
- Participate in the team’s on-call rotation to keep services operational and highly available
- Create, maintain and share technical documentation used by engineers and other team members
- Experience with our technology stack, including:
- Database technologies (Postgres, Redis, and/or Apache Kafka)
- An object-oriented programming language (e.g. Python, Ruby, Java)
- Automated testing (e.g. RSpec, pytest)
- AWS (EC2, S3, VPC, etc.)
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
- Experience and knowledge in operating high-scale distributed systems
- Experience with Scrum in an agile development environment
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks.
- Strong focus on customer-centric development
- Ability to communicate async-first as part of a globally distributed team.
- Experience in designing and managing services to deploy/upgrade stateful applications at scale with robustness and availability in mind
- Experience designing, developing, debugging, and operating resilient distributed systems
- Experience in one or more front-end frameworks (e.g. React, Ember)
Apply for Software Engineer, Heroku Data Services You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.