Heroku enables developers to build data-driven apps with fully managed data services. The Heroku Tools team develops and operates services that give Heroku’s other teams the best possible experience with internal infrastructure services with a minimum of effort. We build and operate Heroku’s internal logging and observability pipelines, DNS and certificate automation, osquery fleet management, change management automation, patch reporting, public cloud authentication, and more.
For this role, we’re looking for a seasoned infrastructure engineers to lead a squad building and operating the next evolution of Heroku’s common public cloud and infrastructure services. Our engineers work on services written in a mix of languages—principally Ruby and Go, running on AWS or our own cloud abstractions. Heroku operates in a total ownership model: not only will your team develop and maintain the services you own, but you’ll operate them in production environments and carry a pager to support their operations.
The Heroku engineering team typically works remotely—and has for years. For this role, we are looking for candidates willing to work hours that overlap your Buenos Aires (GMT-3) colleagues' business hours. You may optionally choose to work from a local Salesforce office (if there is one) upon reopening, or you may remain remote.
- Day-to-day operations and maintenance of our existing internal services
- Development of automation to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Extend the capabilities and features of our services to support emerging use cases
- Supporting your colleagues in other teams to understand their needs and pain points and provide a high level of customer service
- Participation in the on-call rotation with your team to keep services operational and highly available
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Some experience in Ruby or Golang
- Some experience with systems administration, scripting languages
- Passion for automating all the things and avoiding technical debt buildup
- Passion for software engineering and reliability: Good interfaces, well-tested code
- Desire to teach and to learn
- Compassion for your team members and awareness of overall team health
- Apply even if you aren’t comfortable with these! We’re looking for developers who are first and foremost ready to learn and grow.
- Experience with infrastructure management tools such as Terraform, Cloudformation
- Experience with containerization (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with Heroku
- Deployment automation (build processes, Chef/Ansible)
- Proficiency in communications: giving presentations, writing technical documents, etc
- Experience with agile or agile-like development processes
While not required, to get to know you a little better, please consider sharing any of the following:
- An example of source code you've worked on, or a link to your Github account
- Two or three code snippets that you think represent your coding style
- A brief description of your skills, interests, and work style
- A link to your blog and/or other personal/hobby apps you've built
Why Salesforce Heroku?
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us. We are heartfelt about our users’ problems.
Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it’s at the heart of everything we do and aim to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for Software Engineer, Heroku Tools, Public Cloud Squad You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.