Location: You are from any geography within time zones that cover the continental US and Canada. Heroku’s headquarters are in San Francisco, but more than 80% of our team works remotely.
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with a high volume of deploys per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications, and leave operations to us. Heroku is a fast-growing business unit of Salesforce.com. Our work environment is collaborative, flexible and supportive. We’re passionate about engineering excellence and customer success.
This posting is for a server-side developer position with the Heroku Core Services engineering team. Our team is responsible for the systems that orchestrate all of the central business logic inside Heroku. When anyone uses Heroku, whether directly hitting our API or using clients like the web dashboard and Heroku CLI, they are talking to the backend systems we maintain.
Most of our services are written in Ruby though we have some services written in Go. That said, we aren’t looking for Ruby or Go experts - just good developers. We operate all of our production applications and everyone participates in the on-call rotation. Our team does a mix of new feature development and maintenance work. We also collaborate heavily with many other engineering and product teams on their projects.
Key attributes of being a strong contributor to our team:
- You have good collaboration skills - a desire and ability to collaborate well both with other engineers and non-engineering roles. We do much of our work in collaboration with other teams.
- You have the skills to give and receive good feedback. We highly value communication within the team, continuously improving ourselves, and the way we work together.
- You value empathy and teamwork. We celebrate our successes as a team, and we help each other to achieve that success.
- You have a strong commitment to engineering excellence. We care about our code, our interfaces, our tests, our continuous delivery pipelines, and our metrics and monitoring.
- You love learning new things - architecture, technology, languages and features are constantly evolving.
- You have a good ability to solve problems in complex systems: you’re not afraid to dive in, read the logs, ask for help, and follow the stack traces wherever they go.
- You have an interest in application scaling and performance. Our API handles high traffic, and we work to ensure that it’s as fast as possible for all of our users.
- You can work and prioritize in an environment that has many simultaneous projects, teams, interrupts, and priorities. It is important that you are able to understand our key drivers and use that understanding to help prioritize your efforts.
How We Work:
- We have a daily standup to discuss progress and blockers.
- We have a weekly planning meeting to discuss projects and the plan for the week.
- We have a weekly retrospective to reflect on how we are working and what we should change for productivity and developer happiness.
- We have ongoing projects, usually with two or three engineers, that collaborate daily. Sometimes this involves pairing and other times more asynchronous collaboration.
- We have an on call rotation which handles code reviews, incident response, support tickets, and general questions for the team. This allows the rest of the team more ability to work without interruptions.
- We have weekly 1-1s with our manager to have a space to have meaningful conversations. This can be anything from discussing a recent project, giving or receiving feedback about a recent change on the team, or discussing career growth.
BONUS Relevant Experience:
- Experience writing server-side code and network-based APIs.
- Experience working with complex application logic.
- Experience with relational databases.
What we offer:
- A chance to work with a supportive group of people on a large set of interesting problems.
- Opportunity and support to learn and grow as a developer.
- Opportunity and support for professional development. For example attending or speaking at conferences, or attending outside training.
- A commitment to equal pay (https://www.salesforce.com/company/equality/equal-pay/)
- A company that values diverse backgrounds and an inclusive culture.
- Great benefits.
- Commitment to working remotely. Many of our teams are more than 50% remote and we strive to make the “remote worker” experience as good as being in the office.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Apply for Software Engineering Architect, Core Infrastructure Services, Heroku You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.