Open Source Software is part of Heroku’s DNA. It’s been a pivotal part of our success. We’re both consumers and community members. As a way to give back, we’re establishing the Heroku Open Source Software Credit Program, which provides one year of platform credits to qualifying Open Source Software projects hosted on Heroku. This will let project maintainers spend less time worrying about infrastructure and more time on making meaningful contributions to the community.
After approval, qualifying Heroku accounts receive a set credit allocation every month for 12 months. Projects may re-apply the following year for another allocation of credits for 12 months. Credits may be applied to any Heroku product, including Heroku Dynos, Heroku Postgres, and Heroku Data for Redis® on open source applications. Credits cannot be applied to paid third-party Heroku add-ons. Program terms include:
- Accounts will be allotted a set credit allocation per month for 12 months.*
- Accounts may apply credits towards Heroku products only, including Heroku Dynos, Heroku Postgres, and Heroku Data for Redis®.
- Any usage that exceeds the allotted credits per month is charged per the standard pricing to the credit card on file.
- Any usage of third-party add-ons would be charged per the standard pricing to the card on file.
- Any unused portion of the monthly credit allocation is forfeited.
- Credits applied are non-transferable and can only be used by the approved account.
*Salesforce will determine the credit allocation amount based on project need and use. See the FAQs below and Heroku Open Source Software Credit Program Terms for additional program terms and conditions.
To qualify to apply for the Heroku Open Source Software Credit Program, you must be a maintainer on the open source software project and its supporting infra must run or intend to run on Heroku. You must also have an existing Heroku account (personal or team) that has been verified with a valid credit or debit card on file. If you have not yet done so, sign up for a Heroku account and verify it by adding a valid credit card. The program is open people globally; Salesforce employees or officials of government entities are not eligible. Your project must also maintain and adhere to a Code of Conduct.
The program team reviews new applications in 2023 to the program once per month. To apply for the program starting in March, please submit your application by the 15th 11:59 p.m. PT for that month.
- March - December 2023: 15th 11:59 p.m. PT
How to apply
As a first step, review the Heroku Open Source Software Credit Program Terms for full eligibility and application requirements. To receive credits from Heroku, your Heroku account must be verified with a valid credit card on file.
To apply, copy the email template below, provide the requested information, and send the email to email@example.com. Please note: we cannot process applications with incomplete information and your request will be denied. After submitting your program application, your request is added to our queue, and after we evaluate your application, we’ll send you a confirmation of credit approval or denial.
Subject: Heroku Open Source Software Credit Program Application
- First Name:
- Last Name:
- Project Name:
- GitHub Project Repo URL (e.g., github.com/herokuopensourcecredits/example):
- Are you currently using Heroku?:
- If so, which Heroku personal account or team are you requesting credits for?:
- Personal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Team name: heroku-opensource-credits
- Any Heroku add-ons?:
- Current usage per month:
- Are you a nonprofit?:
- Does your project have a Code of Conduct (CoC)?
- If not, are you willing to have one?
- Please provide a link to the Code of Conduct for your project if available:
- Project License:
- Describe your project in 4-5 sentences:
- In your own words, what distinguishes your project from others? In other words, what makes your project especially worthy of free credit?:
- Is your project supported by any other company or organization?:
Program FAQsQ: How do I qualify for the Heroku Open Source Software Credit Program?
A: You will need to meet the following criteria in order to qualify:
- You are responsible for maintaining the open source software project(s) that the credits will be applied towards
- You currently run, or intend to run, an open-source application on Heroku
- You have an active Heroku account (personal or team) with a valid credit card on file
- You are not the employee or official of a government entity
- You are not a Salesforce employee
A: The program team reviews applications once per month. For March to December 2023, applications received after the 15th will be reviewed the following month.Q: Do I need a credit card to apply for the program?
A: Yes, you will need a valid credit or debit card on file to participate. You can add a new card by going to the Billing tab under Account Settings in your Heroku Dashboard.Q: How many platform credits will I receive?
A: Salesforce allocates credits based on its evaluation of a projects usage needs among other factors. Salesforce expects most credit allocation amounts to range from $25 to $500 USD per month. Please note credit allocations are discretionary and not guaranteed.Q: When will I receive the platform credits?
A: After your application is approved, your platform credits will be applied within ten business days. For example, if your application is approved on the 23rd of March, your credits will begin on the 1st of April and will expire on April 30 at 11:59 p.m. PT.Q: If I don’t spend the platform credits I am awarded by the end of the month, will they roll over?
A: No. Any unused credits will expire and do not roll over month to month.Q: What will happen if my usage exceeds the amount of platform credits I am awarded in a month?
A: Any usage charges over the platform credits awarded would be charged at standard pricing to the card on file within your Heroku account.Q: What will happen at the end of the 12-month program period?
A: Any unused platform credits at the end of the program period will expire, and you would need to reapply for an additional year of credits. For example if you are approved in March 2023, after those credits expire you would need to reapply in March 2024 for an additional year of credits.Q: Can I apply my credits to a Heroku Teams account?
A: Yes, credits can be applied to the personal or team account where your open-source application is managed.Q: What can I spend my platform credits on?
A: You can spend your credits on any Heroku product, including Heroku Dynos, Heroku Postgres, and Heroku Data for Redis®. Credits do not apply to paid third-party Heroku add-ons.Q: I applied for the Heroku offer with a different or incorrect Heroku account. Can I switch the request to a different account?
A: Yes, however we would only be able to do so as a one-time courtesy. Please ensure that the personal or team account entered on the application is the accurate one to receive credits.