The COVID-19 virus is changing the world in which we live and work. The pandemic has prompted a wide range of businesses to (at least temporarily) ask their employees to work from home. It restricts us all from enjoying our normal activities and spending time with friends, family, and others.
To help you make the best of your situation, we’d like to share a growing list of tips and stories from Herokai and the wider Heroku community. We hope you find them inspiring, useful, or simply a nice distraction.
On health and wellbeing:
- Podcast: Destigmatizing Mental Health
- Podcast: Strategies for Improving Your Mental Health
- Resource: Salesforce's COVID-19 research search tool
- Resource: THINKMD's COVID-19 screening and education tool
- Video series: B-Well Together: Health and Wellbeing
On giving back:
- Resource: Active for Good’s monthly activity challenges are free to join — and every minute of your activity goes towards unlocking meals for malnourished children.
- Article: Three ways to do good with a side project
- Article: Coding Against COVID
- Resource: If you’re a live streamer, consider running a fundraising campaign on Softgiving.
- Podcast: Listen to our podcast with the Softgiving team to learn more about their philanthropy model.
On working from home:
- Blog: Climbing Up The Walls: (Not) Remotely Business As Usual
- Article: Ten Years of WFH Lessons
- Article: Heroku Remote Culture with Francis Lacoste AMA
- Podcast: Making Remote Work Work
- Blog: On Making Work Less Remote: How the Heroku Team Works Together
- Article: Making Remote Work: What We’ve Learned at Heroku
- Article: Expectations for Remote Work
On remote best practices:
- Podcast: Creativity and Connection in a Remote Workplace
- Article: Choosing the Right Communication Method for Remote Engineering Discussions
- Article: Running Successful Remote Retrospectives
- Article: Tips For Documenting Your Code
For businesses & teams:
- Resource: Work.com offers advice and solutions for workplace resilience.
- Blog: Electric's Advice During Uncertain Times: Invest in Your Culture
- Resource: MX Technology’s Easy SBA Portal helps streamline the SBA loan application process.
- Podcast: Listen to our podcast with the MX team to learn how they set up their portal to automate applications to the SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program during COVID-19.
- Article: We Just Had Our First Virtual Reality Company Status Meeting
For fun or inspiration:
- Blog: Coding at the Speed of a Pandemic: How Trineo Delivered Apps that Test the Test Kits
- Blog: A Pandemic Tale: How a Simple Algorithm Brought a Business Back from Lockdown
- Podcast: Special Episode: Scaling Businesses During a Pandemic
- Resource: Improve your English skills in real time on Cambly's live tutoring platform
- Blog: Learn more about Cambly in How a Live Tutoring Platform Helps the Working World Get Ahead
- Article: 23 remote team building activities (to boost morale and trust)
- Article: Using a Quiz App for Remote Team Building During a Pandemic
- Blog: A True Win-Win: How Being More Active Can Help Fight Malnutrition
- Podcast: Books, Art, and Zombies: How to Survive in Today's World
- Podcast: Enabling a New Generation with Technology and Hawaiian Cultural Values
For family time:
Lists of things:
- Sanity Savers (Quip doc)