Runtime Infrastructure is a remote-first team that owns and operates the infrastructure and services at the core of Heroku’s runtime platforms. Built with a variety of open-source software — some of it our own! — our infrastructure is home to the dynos (a.k.a. containers) serving millions of applications. We provide Heroku with highly-available and performant systems that are the foundation for our customers and products, allowing developers to focus on their businesses and applications.
As a member of Runtime Infrastructure, you will help design and operate systems and services that ensure our customers’ continued success. You’ll support the platforms powering businesses, developers, and personal projects. You’ll also advocate across the organization for Heroku’s ever-evolving infrastructure practices. You have a passion for systems engineering, monitoring, observability, and automation.
You will report to the Engineering Manager of Runtime Infrastructure within Heroku’s Runtime department. You can work remotely, or from any Salesforce office upon reopening, within North American time zones.
- Improve the reliability and operability of Heroku’s services and core infrastructure
- Design systems to allow rapid development, high availability, and clear observability
- Write tools to automate tasks with an emphasis on safety and repeatability
- Resolve performance and reliability issues throughout the stack, including Linux containers
- Collaborate to ensure services are designed to be cloud-native, scalable, and easily operated
- 3+ years experience writing software for, or operating, *nix platforms
- You care about crafting code that is clear, readable, and maintainable
- You technical decisions and implementations begin with customer understanding
- You are comfortable on a geographically distributed team
- You are decisive even in the context of incomplete information
Nice to have, but not required
- Experience with software containerization (e.g. cgroups, Docker, LXC, rkt, runC)
- Experience with cluster schedulers for containers (e.g. Kubernetes, Mesos, Nomad)
- You’ve directly impacted the reliability and availability of large-scale distributed systems
- You’ve implemented highly concurrent software at scale
- You’ve deployed and operated geographically redundant services
- Experience supporting code bases with contributors from across the organization
Technologies we love
Below is our primary toolbox. Ideally, you have experience with a few of these, or similar technologies.
- Languages: Ruby, Go, Bash
- Software: Ansible, Chef, CircleCI, Docker, Kubernetes, Packer, Ruby on Rails, Terraform
- Data stores: PostgreSQL, Kafka, Redis
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us. We are heartfelt about our users’ problems.
We plan weekly, chat daily and work closely together. Our team is a remote community with members excited to work together on challenging distributed systems problems.
Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it’s at the heart of everything we do and aim to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for Software Engineer, Heroku Runtime Infrastructure You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.