Runtime Infrastructure is a remote-first team that owns and operates the infrastructure and services at the core of Salesforce’s Heroku Runtime platforms. Built with a variety of open-source software — including some of our own! — our infrastructure is home to the dynos (a.k.a. containers) serving millions of applications. We provide highly-available and performant systems that build a foundation for our customers and their products, allowing developers to focus on their businesses and applications.
As a member of Runtime Infrastructure, you will help design and operate systems and services that ensure customers’ continued success. You’ll support the platforms powering businesses, developers, and personal projects. You’ll also advocate and collaborate across the broader organization for our ever-evolving infrastructure best practices. We have a passion for systems engineering, monitoring, observability, and automation, and hope you do too.
This role reports to Runtime Infrastructure’s Senior Engineering Manager within Salesforce’s Heroku Runtime department. You can work remotely or hybrid from any Salesforce office within North American time zones.
- Improve the reliability and operability of Heroku services and core infrastructure
- Design systems that allow rapid development, high availability, and clear observability
- Write tools to automate tasks with an emphasis on safety, repeatability and scalability
- Resolve performance and reliability issues throughout the stack, including Linux containers
- Collaborate across engineering teams to ensure services are designed to be cloud-native, scalable, and easily operated
- 3+ years experience writing software for, or operating, *nix platforms
- You craft and value code that is clear, readable, and maintainable
- Your technical decisions and implementations are rooted in customer understanding
- You feel comfortable and can be effective on a geographically distributed team
- You can make decisions even in the context of incomplete information
- You collaborate with peers to continuously receive and give feedback
Preferred, NOT Required, Experience with:
- Software containerization (e.g. cgroups, Docker, LXC, rkt, runC)
- Cluster schedulers for containers (e.g. Kubernetes, Mesos, Nomad)
- Supporting code bases with contributors from across the organization
- Impacting the reliability and availability of large-scale distributed systems
- Implementing highly concurrent software at scale
- Deploying and operating geographically redundant services
Technologies we love
Below is our primary toolbox. Ideally, you have experience with a few of these, or similar technologies.
- Languages: Ruby, Go, Bash
- Cloud computing platforms
- Software: Ansible, Chef, Docker, Kubernetes, Packer, Ruby on Rails, Terraform
- Data stores: PostgreSQL, Kafka, Redis
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us. We are heartfelt about solving our users’ problems.
We plan weekly, chat daily and work closely together. Our team is part of a broader remote community whose members are excited to work together on challenging distributed systems problems, and also have some fun together along the way.
Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it’s at the heart of everything we do and aim to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for Software Engineer, Runtime Infrastructure You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.