Runtime Control Plane is a remote-first team that owns and operates the container orchestration and configuration machinery at the heart of Heroku and Salesforce Functions. We build the bridge between infrastructure and the rest of the organization, facilitating the execution of containers serving millions of applications and enabling other teams to build frictionless developer experiences on our foundation.
On the team, you will help to design, implement, and operate services that maximize availability for our customers and provide a robust integration point for our colleagues. In the process, you’ll support the platforms underlying thousands of businesses, non-profits, developers, and passion projects. You’ll also help us to define how our products evolve over time to serve new customers and scale to new levels, while writing the interfaces that power it all. You have a passion for developer-friendly interfaces, containerization, observability, and automation.
You will report to an Engineering Manager within the Control Plane team, which operates inside of Heroku’s Runtime department. This is a full-time remote position, but after reopening, you can work from any Salesforce office.
- Improve the reliability, functionality, and operability of the Heroku/Functions runtime orchestration systems and internal API services
- Design highly available, scalable, cloud-native systems that are easily observed and managed
- Write automation tooling to reduce operational toil and simplify data migration tasks
- Resolve performance and reliability issues throughout the stack
- Build integrations with Runtime’s Infrastructure and Networking teams, as well as groups across Heroku and Salesforce
- 2+ years experience writing software
- You care about crafting code that is clear, readable, and maintainable
- Your technical decisions and implementations begin with customer understanding
- You are comfortable on a geographically distributed team
- You are decisive even in the context of incomplete information
Nice to have, but not required
- Experience with software containerization (e.g. cgroups, Docker, LXC, rkt, runC)
- Experience with cluster schedulers for containers (e.g. Kubernetes, Mesos, Nomad)
- You’ve directly impacted the reliability and availability of large-scale distributed systems
- You’ve implemented highly concurrent software at scale
- You’ve deployed and operated geographically redundant services
Technologies we love
Below is our primary toolbox. Ideally, you have experience with a few of these, or similar technologies.
- Languages: Go, Ruby
- Software: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, OpenAPI, gRPC, CircleCI
- Data stores: PostgreSQL, Kafka, Redis
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us. We are heartfelt about our users’ problems.
We plan weekly, chat daily and work closely together. Our team is a remote community with members excited to work together on challenging distributed systems problems.
Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it’s at the heart of everything we do and aim to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for Software Engineer, Runtime Control Plane You will be taken to the listing on Salesforce’s career site.